Thursday, February 24, 2011

Book Reading #26 - Opening Skinner's Box

Chapter 7: Rat Park
Summary:
Bruce Alexander wanted to challenge the conventional thoughts on addiction, so he created a rat park with all the necessary items, as well as sugary water laced with drugs. The rats did not like the sugary drug water, and instead avoided it for regular water, even when they were already addicted. Besides a small following, Alexander's findings were rejected.
Discussion:
I don't buy what he said. Sure if people lived in a perfect world with no stresses, I'd buy that they wouldn't want or need drugs. But because of the stresses of life and the effects of the drugs, I fully believe in addiction. I had an addiction to caffeine, and the headaches when I broke the addiction were so bad I could hardly see at times, and I was nauseous as well, and I didn't read up on the symptoms until after I was mostly broken from the addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment