Thursday, April 14, 2011

Book Reading #49 - Why We Make Mistakes

Chapter 10: We All Think We’re Above Average
Summary:
People are incredibly over confident. This is displayed in confidence tests, gym memberships, and other tests of one's skill. Information overload helps confidence, but doesn't affect outcomes.
Chapter 11: We’d Rather Wing It 
Summary:
We don't read instructions. We'd rather just do it our own way. Experts are classified as such because they spend thousands upon thousands of hours practicing. Cognitive maps are a key way animals solve problems, as we're always looking for the shortest path to "get the cheese."
Discussion:

I like this book. It uses real world examples, and doesn't speak in overly technical terms to try to sound smart. I thought the over confidence struck home, because I want to do some things after college that I'm probably not qualified for right now. I didn't like the second chapter as much. I think it's funny that people will do things without reading the instructions just to do it their own way. Humans are incredibly stubborn. I admit, I tried the cup pouring example without looking at the answers, and I did it the long way the second time too.

No comments:

Post a Comment