Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Paper Reading #25

Comments:
Comment #1
Comment #2
Reference:
Title: The why UI: using goal networks to improve user interfaces
Author: Dustin A. Smith, Henry LiebermanVenue: IUI 2009/2010
Summary:
This short paper presents ToDoGo, a "mobile, location-aware to-do list application [...] which uses goal networks to help users plan where and when to accomplish their desired goals." The group analyzed which plans and goals users prefer or tend to choose. With that information, they could perform tendency analysis so users with similar patterns as previous entries could be helped along. More specifically, the goals could be labeled as "worth doing" or "not worth doing." These classifications were based on the previous history of similar users. To input the goals, the users inputed text into an interface, and the program mined the text for the information. This was done using the same framework as 43things.com, which is the website that inspired this project. The program then creates a goal graph from the mined text information. Lastly, the group implemented a location-based map that takes goals and shows the user where they can accomplish these goals near their current location. Since ToDoGo is a mobile application, this can be difficult because they have to get the location every time the application is launched, then compare the goals with the stores or locations nearby. A sample goal graph is given below.


Discussion:
I thought this was pretty interesting. I could see some people using this, especially if they can try it out for free. I think that would be the best way for this group to penetrate the potential market. I'm not sure if I'd use it myself, but for people who have long lists of things to do, I could definitely see this as being useful. I probably will check later to see if this has actually been launched. If so, I may try it out myself.

2 comments:

  1. I see the use in this, but didn't really find their implementation too interesting. I think it has some potential though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that a lot of these papers are very interesting, but I would never use them myself either.

    ReplyDelete