Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Book Reading #50 - Why We Make Mistakes

Chapter 12: We Don’t Constrain Ourselves
Summary:
Objects are created with constraints and affordances that limit or cue proper use. If objects are not properly constrained or given the proper affordances, serious errors can occur. For example, herapin overdoses due to too many similarities in the labels have affected thousands, including Dennis Quaid and his family. The aviation industry is much better at eliminating these types of errors than the medical field because of better naming and differing attitudes towards accepting advice.
Chapter 13: The Grass Does Look Greener
Summary:
Millions of people move out to California every year because they believe they will be happier, but it turns out that the things we focus on tend to not make us as happy as we would expect. Handicapped people are generally very satisified with their life, but most people wouldn't expect that. Finality allows for adaptation, while the option for a "grass is greener" scenario can hamper happiness.
Conclusion:
Summary:
This basically brings all the chapters into one synopsis. The author provides suggestions on how to avoid all the causes of mistakes. Also he discusses the importance of sleep.
Discussion:
The first chapter is very similar to the stuff Norman wrote. I think the concept of constraints and affordances are too closely linked to be labeled differently. For example, I don't think scissors constrain the way we use them, but rather the holes provide cues/affordances on how to use them correctly.

I thought the part about handicapped and disabled people being happier was really eye-opening. I never would have thought that at all. I also liked the bit about how people with the option to do something else generally are less happy, even though I would think it to be the other way around. I don't understand why so many people would want to live in California. But to every man his own I guess.

The conclusion I thought was fitting. I was especially interested in the part about sleep. I liked how he highlighted the important examples in the book, as those were what made the book enjoyable to begin with for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment